The department was established in 1943 as an all-volunteer organization. The first apparatus was a used Ahrens-Fox purchased from Fort Thomas. Ambulance service was provided by Highland Heights until 1972, when Cold Spring placed it's first ambulance into service. In 1999, the department was approached by Highland Heights with a proposal to merge. The Central Campbell Fire District was established in 1999 and it represented the first merger of departments in the county.